Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Snow on the Mountain


Here on Kodiak it has been glorious weather of late. All rain in town, but all snow up high. In the last 24 hours we had two storms roll through and deposit almost 2 inches of rain in town. Most of the time the precipitation was mixed with snow at the airport and it never got above 37 degrees so that means we probably got two feet of snow on the mountain above 700 feet. And, as you can see by the SAT photo, another storm is on the way. We are supposed to even get snow in town this time. I love it when a storm track sets up like this! Best of all the weather has been just warm enough that the snow will stick to the mountain. Sometimes the storms are 'too cold' and all the snow blows off the mountain, leaving bare rock and ice behind. I have learned to appreciate a cold rain!

The unfortunate part is that I hurt my thigh goat hunting and will not get the chance to enjoy the snow for another few days. But I do have something to look forward to. Of note, I gather Anchorage and the mainland still do not have cross country skiing down low. I read that even in Anchorage you have to climb up to over 1000 feet to find skiing. So for all you locals reading this: appreciate the weather - we got it good! Patrick

No comments: