Search This Blog

Thursday, December 27, 2007

My "Holly Hobby" Craft-Quilting



I never imagined I'd be a quilter-I thought I wasn't enough of a perfectionist to master the art of cutting and aligning fabrics.  When I saw quilts, I was sure that I didn't have the necessary talents in me. However, I was searching for a hobby. Not sure why-as Nora was 1 year old and I was pregnant with Stuey. Not like my life was slowing down any. 
My friend, Karen, calls quilting a "holly hobby" activity and I think I saw it as that before I became a quilter as well. (I suppose anything that involves a trip to the craft section of Walmart, a sewing machine or is out of Martha Stewart could be deemed "holly hobby"....) 
But then I saw some quilts which really inspired me and perhaps my mind changed...

A year and a half ago my good friend, Alexis Jackson, taught me how to quilt and I've been hooked ever since. I'm not sure what it was that made me want to try it. 

I think she said something like, "Zoya, just try it. You don't have to buy anything except for your fabric. You can use my tools....you have nothing to lose." She sold me on it. Alexis has been quilting for years and years and does such gorgeous work. She has amazing patience-always takes her time to explain things to me and loves to talk quilting on the phone. It has brought another rich dynamic to our friendship!

My first quilt was a small baby quilt-which is for Nora and currently hangs on our wall. When I saw how easily it came together, I was estatic to make more and I quickly became addicted. For years I tried to make myself a knitter, only to be disappointed with unfinished project after unfinished project. (Last year I gave my whole bag of unfinished projects and needles of various sizes to my friend Erin. She was estatic as was I!! I am done with knitting!!)

My favorite part of quilting is picking out the fabrics and I always feel like a kid in a candy store as I choose colors and patterns which blend well together. It is a like a feast for my eyes! So many beautiful patterns of fabrics to choose from. 

My latest quilt is for my babysitter, Megan, who is home from college in Arizona. (see photos above). She was our mommy helper when I brought Stuey home from Anchorage and got us through those tough months. She went to the fabric store and showed me different fabrics she liked and I incorporated a few of those into her quilt. 

What a fun adventure quilting has been!! When the kids are in bed-I pull out the fabrics and sew away. Its so fun to see the pieces come together into a quilt-like a story unfolding!!

Zoya

1 comment:

My Little Family: said...

Very nice Zoya! I am so happy that you "found" quilting. Something about Kodiak seems to turn normal people into quilters. LOL!