Search This Blog

Monday, August 01, 2016

Week Two Doings

Justin with 2 'toy' points found near each other in Block B

The second week of Community Archaeology is complete.  Last week we had some rain, but managed to still dig every day.  The major accomplishment of the week was finishing the main block.  We finally got to the bottom -  Main block Kashevaroff Site 2013-2016 R.I.P.  By the end of the week we had transitioned over to Block B where Catherine W uncovered the huge smoke processing feature last year. 

At the very bottom of the main block we did discover a structure of some sort at the very edge of the excavation.  The feature extended into area we had partially excavated during the first 2 years of the dig, and I was able to go back to my 2013 and 2014 notes and piece the whole feature together.  It was not dug into the ground but rests on sterile and stacked ashes at the very bottom of the site. Nor did it have built up walls or a sod roof.  It was circular, ringed with numerous posts and measured about 3 meters across.  The floor was very thin and mostly gravel, but thick with charcoal on the half we excavated in 2013 and 2014.  I believe it represents a temporary shelter.

In Block B we are getting into the older deposits below the old smoke processing pit.  The big find in Block B was Justin's small hearth.  It contained calcined bone and some fired sods.

On to week three!  Patrick

We take all volunteers - especially if they want to screen

Solomon with a sideblade

The bottom of the main block - postholes on the middle left represent structure

Alex and a chipped point fragment

Justin and Solomon recover some calcined bone in Block B

No comments: