Search This Blog

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Tour of Anchorage just a week away


In exactly one week I will be 1/2 hour into the 50 kilometer race at the Tour of Anchorage. I am starting to get nervous. I never enjoy the run up to a race - actually I hate it. I envy people who can just go out and race and have a good time. I don't start having a good time until the race is about half over and I suddenly realize that this isn't so bad.

So why do I race if I hate the run up so much? I like to do one race a year because it forces me to get in shape, and after the race is over I feel great for about 2 weeks. And there is nothing like the pizza and beer immediately after the race is over. Without a race looming in the distance I might exercise every day, but I never really train and do the painful windsprints etc that are essential if you really want to get in shape.

This year I am doing the 50K race for the first time in 6 years. Back in January I was convinced I could get close to my old times. I did place 15th a couple of times and my best time was 2:24 - so the pressure was on. But then I hurt my back, got sick and have had bad sinus pressure of late. My training over the last month and a half took a huge hit. I have modified my goals - next week I hope to get a top 50 finish and crack 2:40. What I'd really like to do is just relax and not care how I finish - just race to finish. But for me that is impossible. Patrick

Photo - That's me about halfway through the 25K classic race at last year's Tour of Anchorage.

1 comment:

My Little Family: said...

Good luck at the race Patrick - and try to have a good time :)