Search This Blog

Friday, February 06, 2009

What a difference a day makes





What a difference a day and 8 inches of snow makes! Er, actually make that 48 hours between the picture of Kodiak at dawn and the one I posted two days ago. In between we had a very snowy day. I love the snow because it makes Kodiak seem so much brighter. The picture of town was actually taken about 1/2 hour earlier than the one from 2 days ago and see how much brighter it looks. I took the other 3 pictures after the sun had officially set under the trees in Abercrombie. The snow on the ground made it seem like much earlier in the day. Too bad we don't quite have a full moon!

Even without a full moon the new snow makes it possible to go for a ski or a walk after the sun sets. Lately the cross country skiing on the lakes around town has been outstanding. I beat in a skate ski track around Island Lake. The first couple of laps were pretty slow in the deep snow, but by the time I finished I had a pretty darn good track. Not groomed like the ski trails in Kincaid Park in Anchorage, but I much prefer the 'character' of our local trails. Patrick

No comments: