Search This Blog

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Home Alone with Kids




This weekend Zoya got a call from her first doula client early Saturday morning and pretty much spent the rest of the weekend at the hospital. So I was home alone with the kiddos - Mano a Mano. It was pretty cold this weekend and I am heartened to discover that the cold really does not bother the kids. They'd beg me to go outside. Once while I had them both doubled up on the sled it wiped out and Nora did a face plant in the snow. I expected tears and the end of good times, but no she started to laugh face down in the snow and wanted to do it again!

Another outside activity was going on 'safari' or 'elk hunting'. The kids would explore under the spruce trees in the unimproved part of our lot. I told them that busting through the salmonberries is just like what I do when hunting elk on Afognak Island. After I told Nora this she did 3 circuits through the salmonberries telling me each time with a serious look that she was elk hunting (see bottom photo). Stuey fell down in the salmonberries and started to cry. I told him that this has been known to happen to grown men when hunting elk on Afognak.

Another activity that Nora seems to love, but Stuey seems a bit indifferent to is painting. Nora took it very seriously while Stuey threw the pens across the room. He prefers to throw stuff. Our little Mr. Destructo.

Zoya is home now and all is well. Patrick

No comments: