Search This Blog

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Hanging the 'peepur' and seeds bird feeders


Yesterday Stuie and Nora made birdfeeders at Miss Sarah's (that's Miz Gara in Nora speak). Basically they coated wooden triangles with peanut butter ('peepur') and poured birdseed onto them. Zoya arrived to pick them up and they were concentrating very hard at getting the seeds onto the peanut butter.

In any case, when they got home we HAD to hang the feeders where we could watch them. I was also concerned about them attracting deer and rats so I wanted to hang them very high. This meant I had to become a 'tree hugger' to get up into the spruce trees behind our kitchen. Needless to say, but Nora found it very entertaining! Now we are keeping our eyes peeled for the birdies. None yet, but it has been windy. Patrick

2 comments:

B. Diederich said...

Hello,
I came across your site after typing in 'Homer, Alaska'--I might have to try those green beans on the lower blog! They sound delicious and similar to what a local Chinese restaurant serves...
Anyway, my daughter is planning on going to Homer in a couple weeks. How is the cell phone service there? Are people mauled by bears? What month will the snow actually clear?
Sorry for all the questions...I am just so nervous about her trip!
Thanks,
scared mom

Zoya said...

Dear Scared Mom,

Homer is a 12 hour ferry boat ride from here, but we have family who live over there - so I do know a bit about the place. Not sure of the cell phone coverage though - but I bet it's fine.

Your daughter will have a great time. No one gets mauled by bears (I think she'll be lucky to see one actually). In fact, she's more likely to get thumped by an cranky moose. As regards snow, I don't think they have much now down in town and by the end of April all the snow in town will be gone. I believe up on the hillside above Homer they have snow well into May - and of course you can always see snow, no matter what time of year it is, across the bay.

It's a fairly small community and once she gets to know a few people she'll know a lot of people thru friends of friends etc. It's a very mellow 'birenstock' type community. The ying to Kodiak's Yang. Patrick