Search This Blog

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Salonie Creek Canyon





Today I woke to a sunny day with no wind and temperatures right around freezing. A perfect day to go for a crust cruise on skate skiis up Salonie Creek with Gregg. So I dropped the kiddos off at the babysitter's house and away I went on a three hour tour.

It was rocket ship fast and we got to the canyon in what seemed like no time at all. On the way we scared all of the deer out of the valley and watched them run up and away, up the sunny mountainside (see bottom photo). In the canyon it was quite dark at the bottom, but up on high the sun flared white on the snow (top photo). For a while we followed some day old bear tracks. He'd obviously had quite the time post-holing in the deep snow. He'd probably come out of his den for a look see and is now back in his den hibernating.

We got up past the big blue icicles (middle two photographs), and then headed back. I suddenly realized I only had an hour until I had to pick up the kids - so I flew home. It was all slightly downhill back to the car and I did it at race pace in 32 minutes from the canyon. It felt good to fly. Patrick

No comments: