Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Pyramid Snow Report




I have not been up Pyramid for a while - too busy cross country skiing down low - so Today when I skinned up I was pleasantly surprised by how much snow we now have on the mountain. It's getting deep up there. And the skiing conditions are excellent. 3 to 4 inches of powder on top of a hard (but not icy) base.

Driving past 'Deadman's' curve I looked out over Chiniak Bay and noticed how hard the wind was blowing. I got a little worried I'd be blown off of the mountain. But no - it seems with the wind out of the West Northwest (like today) that the climb up from the parking lot is in a wind shadow. It was quite pleasant and warm in the sun. The powder in the 'snowboarder bowl' was not windpacked. Great skiing!

Photos: Karen and Jeremy head up for a snowshoe on the mountain. They were impressed by how warm and sunny it was on the mountain. Bottom 2 - scenics of the powder in the 'snowboarder bowl'. Patrick

No comments: