Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Obama

Tonight I snuck off to Sid and Fritz's house for the Obama party. Sid enthusiastically answered the door with a red, white and blue tassel-pom-pom- headband . It set the perfect mood for the group!
Drinks were enjoyed and the TV was on-awaiting the results from final states and the acceptance speech for Barack Obama. McCain gave his speech-everyone listened intently and several more minutes passed until Barack came on stage. The room was flooded with cheers of delight and tears as Barack spoke. Everyone there was so ready for change and hearing Barack gave us hope that change is possible.
Hearing Barack--and seeing his face on the TV---and seeing the enthusiasm in the Chicago crowd was a moment I'll never forget. Since we don't have TV I've relied more on the radio and You Tube repeat videos with seeing footage of Barack Obama. It was pure joy to be in a room with enthusiastic people and see Barack's acceptance speech live.
When I got home, Patrick reminded me that in many countries of the world, people do not give concession speechs as McCain did-and what a good concession speech he gave. This was a good reminder for me, as it is easy to get wrapped up in the "him-as-the-bad-guy" mentality.
What an amazing night.
(Oh, and we're having a "Bush's Last Day" party on 01-20-09. If you're in Kodiak-come by!!)

Zoya

2 comments:

kodiakgriff said...

I've been reading your entries for a while now. I really enjoy the blog and have added you to my faves listing.
Anyways, excellent thoughts on the good ole USA.
I may not be happy with all the results from last night, but you are correct. This is a great nation, and both presidential candidates are great Americans.
Peace

Isiik said...

January 20th? You know we'll be there!