Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

America Is Great


I must admit I cried tonight. Not because Obama won or McCain lost, but because both of them gave such great speeches at the end. I loved McCain and I loved Obama. Both are great Americans. After their speeches I realized how vital American democracy remains. I must admit I had been a little worried (after 8 years of Karl Rove), but John McCain eased my worries. He conceded the election in a fashion that only happens in America.

At one one time I lived and worked in South Africa (photo is of Cullinan where I lived and worked) and I learned about the politics of polarization. Recently I read about how Robert Mugabe in Zimbabwe refused to step down despite the election results in that country. How refreshing that our country has had a smooth transition - what a tradition. Let's keep it up. McCain is a great man. (Note - South Africa also had a smooth democratic transfer of power when Nelson Mandela took over as President).

Patrick

No comments: