Search This Blog

Friday, November 14, 2008

Lake Catherine


I'm not sure if the Lake where I ski is actually Lake Catherine or Lake Genivieve. According to the map Boy Scout Lake is Lake Genivieve and where I like to go skiing is Lake Catherine, but I'm pretty sure the USGS got them mixed up. In any case, the XC skiing is great! Another funny thing about the names of lakes around Kodiak is that they all have female names - Rose Tead, Genivieve, Catherine, Loiuse, Gertrude, Cicely, Aurel, Caroline etc. I gather that they were all named after USO entertainers during WWII. I'd have loved to have met Rose Tead - I wonder if she is still alive?

Photo: Gregg took this photo of me this afternoon on Lake Catherine (Genivieve). Fast conditions. Patrick

2 comments:

kodiakgriff said...

Great picture!
As a former resident of that neighborhood, I was told that the lake behind the housing area is Catherine and Genvieve is actually a small pond in Swampy acres.
BTW, I am looking forward to trying that canned deer meat recipe!
Peace

Zoya, Patrick, Nora and Stuart said...

I prefer the name Genivieve 'cause it is a really cool name. But oh well - I guess it really is Lake Catherine. Great views from that lake and it always seems to be in the sun.

Patrick