Search This Blog

Monday, November 17, 2008

A "Wow" moment in Safeway

Tonight I had the most interesting experience at Safeway.

As I strolled through the aisles, I walked by a couple who had a little boy on the dads shoulder. Several times we passed each other and finally in the dairy section, the boy said, "Hi" and I said hi back. He looked like Stuey's age, so I asked the parents how old he was.

The mom replied, "21 months".

I said, "Oh, wow! Thats how old my son is! When was your son born?"

She said, "February 9th."

I said, "Oh, wow! Mine was born February 8th."

We talked for a few more seconds about our little guys then she said, "Wait, Was your son the one who had to be sent to Anchorage? I saw him when he was in the nursery."

I said "Yes, he was."

She asked, "Is he oK? did everything turn out ok? I remember the weather was bad and your flight had to turn back."

I reassured her that, yes, Stuey was just fine and he was as big and healthy as her son. She had such a look of relief on her face as I told her. She told me that she thought about him a lot since that time and wondered how he was.

It makes me realize how everyones experiences in this world are so connected. Its not like my experience with Stuey the hours and days after he was born was just him, our family and our friends. It was more far reaching than that. And so many experiences in life are like that.

And who ever would've guessed that tonight in Safeway I would have met a complete stranger who had thought about Stuey for almost two years?

So cool.

Zoya

No comments: