Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving Times, Gregg with a 'Stash', and entries from Patrick's Journal






Thanksgiving is just a few days away and tonight Patrick and I had fun looking at old Thanksgiving photos. The best one is Gregg with a mustache--his "old days" look!

Since meeting Patrick in 1999 we have spent many Thanksgivings here on the island with friends and several off island with family--down in Arizona, South Africa or out East (last year). Patrick and I really prefer to not travel during the holidays-too many hiccups with holiday travel as well as family expectations. Plus, we always find that dinner with good friends here is a great joy. Full of good food and laughter.

The photo on the top is in 2000-my first Thanksgiving with Patrick. Gregg was awesome with cooking the turkey and I really don't remember too much more about that dinner or who came over.

But A-ha!! When all else fails, go to the journal. Patrick has kept a daily journal since 1975. Watch out what you say or do in Da Saltonstall house-it could be permanently documented...

Excerpt from November 23rd, 2000 Thanksgiving journal entry
"....Eric, Kim and Rebecca came over to my place. Lots of booze and cheese. The turkey came out perfect. Gregg showed with pies and helped with the gravey. Steve and Sharon. Huge meal. I had way too much to drink. Rick and Melia came back here and we looked at old books....I finally trapsied over to Zoya's house at 2:00 AM...."

So with a little prompting from the journal-the details from prior Thanksgivings come back. Heres more:

2001 Thanksgiving
Excerpt from Patrick's journal....(Ella was in town visiting from Anchorage and we had Eric W. and friends from Larsen Bay in town for dinner.)

"....Then Ella and Zoya went off to Termination point on a hike with Hans T. I stayed behind to bake the turkey and watch football. Drink beers. Eric and co. arrived early and dug into the wine. Talked big bucks with the Larsen Bay crowd. We were all hammmered by the time Zoya and Ella got back. I thought the turkey was excellent and very moist but others found it "RAW". Fairly drunken affair, but fun for all. Eric, Kim and I finished up cigars and listened to CD's. I then inhaled the cigar. Bad idea. Ella passed out."

Patrick and I laughed as we read these entries and realized how little we remembered from these nights. Patrick says, "I was a pig in the old days...with how I acted." At times we think our lives haven't changed much since having kids, but after reading these journal entries, I realize how much our lives HAVE changed.

Zoya

Photos:
Gregg and I in 2000...me "stalking" the turkey skin after it came out of the oven.
2001-Eric Waltenbaugh, Scooby and the Larsen Bay gang. Ella in background.
2006 Alisa Abookire with the wine stash.
2006 Melissa, Patty, Mike and Katie.
(Melissa, Patty, John, Fisher, Mike and Alisa are all gone from the island now. We miss them.)

No comments: