Search This Blog

Monday, November 10, 2008

The 'No Snow in Town' Effect





Yesterday it rained in town and we lost all our snow down low - so today, of course, I had a few people feeling sorry for me, 'too bad about the snow huh?' I call this the 'no snow in town effect'. It seems most people think when the snow is gone in town - it's gone everywhere. These are the same people who call me for the first time in weeks, just after we get 2 inches of new snow in town, and want to know if I want to join them for a ski on Pyramid. I got news for everyone - most of the time when there is snow in town the skiing is bad on Pyramid. If we have snow in town it means it was cold and probably all blew off up high. Probably wind blown ice in the mountains. Those are the days when I go cross country skiing. Now when it rains in town - really dumps - but the temps don't get much above 40 degrees. ... Now that's the time to go downhill skiing.

Today is case in point. We lost all our snow down low, but we finally got some good snow up high. We got 1 to 2 FEET of new snow on Pyramid, and I enjoyed some pretty good powder skiing. Ski that when you smacked it with your ski tip blew up into the air - light, fluffy stuff on top of a soft base. You no longer have to use your rock skiis on Pyramid. Patrick

No comments: