Search This Blog

Thursday, February 23, 2012

4 years Later...an Open House





4 years ago I started thinking about opening my own physical therapy business and this fall it will be 4 years since I saw my first physical therapy clients. In the rush of having young ones and opening up, I never had an open house. Last weekend I decided to host one. It was a very small group of people who came by; felt good to finally do something a little more formal to introduce new people to the business.

In looking back at the photos from 4 years ago, its hard to believe that I opened up A Balanced Approach with Stuey just 18 months old. I was very determined to have a place on my own to practice. Prior to opening, I worked for the hospital for 8 years and thought that Kodiak could use another small PT clinic.

I was most nervous about billing insurance companies and seeing any re-imbursement. Thankfully, it was just a lot of hours of paperwork to become a provider with the insurance companies. And having excellent office managers to do the billing over the years! For that, I am so thankful for the excellent office managers that have been at A Balanced Approach over the years. I've worked with incredible women who keep things working smooth with scheduling and billing.

4 years later, I couldn't be happier with the independence my business has given me. In a world of rush, rush health care, I can provide care that is relaxed and caring....in an environment that is conducive to healing. And it has been so fun to provide another venue for fitness classes--I am forever thankful to the incredible fitness instructors who lead powerflex and indoor cycling classes!

The upside of owning my own business is if something isn't running smoothly, or I want to run a new program, I can just do it. I don't have to ask managers, middle management, etc. And when something is successful, it feels so good to see the final outcome!

The downside is that if there is a rocky spot in the business, then there is no one to blame but myself. I can't call out for help, or give up. It holds me fully accountable. I have to take action and make change to get through the bumps in the road. Then after getting through the bumps, there is large sense of accomplishment. Larger than if I worked for a big organization.

Zoya

Picture: Open house last weekend...MJ and Marian-two incredible instructors!
Stuey, Nora and myself when I opened up A Balanced Approach almost 4 years ago.

No comments: