Search This Blog

Sunday, January 08, 2012

Family Ski Outing~ Ski poles as Weapons






Yesterday morning Patrick and I went to Lake Gertrude for a great ski on lots of fresh snow (see bottom photos). In the afternoon we took the kids out to try out the trail we carved out (see top photos).

A few notable moments:
-Earlier on in the ski I asked Patrick, "I'm amazed there aren't more parents with young kids out here." By the end of the trip, I better understood the answer.
-The kids skiied 1/2 way around the perimeter of the lake on the trail Patrick and I carved out from earlier in the day. Their determination surprised us.
-I had a "woo-hoo!!" parenting moment as we started across the lake and the kids didn't need any help from us. And we were all having a fun time. This was a moment I've been excited to have happen since we had the kids...as Patrick and I both love skiing.
-The kids discovered Ski poles make great self-defense tools. During several moments, the kids would turn into a pile of hitting skis and poles on the ground. Patrick and I were at a loss. Sibling love. Nora was pretty aggressive with her skis...We would have to step in break the cat fights up.
-Stuey can't handle being last. Ever. If one of us inched in front of him, he freaks out. He has some very competitive genes at play...Patrick and I disagree as to whose side of the family it comes from.
-At the end of the day, Patrick and I agreed the ski was a success by all measures. A few cat fights, some good distance on the snow....by the end Nora had ditched the poles and was kicking and gliding her way back to the car.

Zoya

Photos:
Nora on the lake.
Stuey and Nora fighting.
Yeah! Kids are able to ski around the lake!
Patrick and I earlier in the day carving out the trail on the lake.

No comments: