Search This Blog

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Snow Report



Today I drove up to Pyramid to go skiing and as I was getting my gear together a guy drove up on a motorcycle with all of his ski gear aboard (top photo). Brian admitted he usually drove up in his truck, but he thought he'd try to save gas with the motorcycle. Wow! Gas prices have lead to conservation! I am annoyed by my 17 mpg Chevy truck - I realized it costs me about 8 bucks a pop to go skiing at the pass (around 15 miles each way). Still, it's better than a gym membership.

As regards the snowpack, one word - Unbelievable. Last year by mid May we could barely ski to the road. This year there is still 5 feet of snow at the road (bottom photo). During the last week or so we got another few feet of snow up high on the mountain. All of my usual snow bench marks (trees and bushes I check from year to year) have long been buried. It's a whole new world up high - the snow has totally changed the landscape. I doubt we'll see this much snow on Pyramid again for a long, long time. Patrick

No comments: