Search This Blog

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mothers Day Musings



Today was a lovely Mothers Day! And I didn't even mind the weather...
We woke up to horizontal rain and winds, which got stronger as the day progressed. Perfect day to huddle inside and hang out with the kids. Melissa and Fisher came over for Omelets-mushroom and cheese. Very yummy. Melissa and I took turns making them (or trying to make them!) and by the 3rd one, we had it down. (Thanks to my brother-in-law-Dan for his omelet making lesson when he was here!!)

This afternoon while at Safeway it was Mothers Day Land. Everyone seemed to have flowers in hand, or looking for a card and people where saying "Happy Mothers Day" everywhere I turned. It was quite nice-sorta like a big "Happy Birthday" to all the moms. The checker chimed out "Happy Mothers Day" as I took my reciept. It was almost like I had won a prize-for having kids. This is the first year mothers day has seemed "real". Part of it may be that Stuey started walking--10-12 steps--yesterday which is a big occasion. And this mothers day I'm rested up-on prior mothers days I've been sleep deprived with smaller babies.

This weekend went very smoothly. I think a big part of this is the kids ages. I don't have to hold Stuart all the time-he and Nora play together and I really enjoy being home with them. The past two days I felt like I was in the kitchen most of the time-cooking up new creations. Nora always climbs up onto the stool in our kitchen with curiosity when she hears any bowls clattering or measuring spoons being taken out of drawers. Tonight she flipped though my cookbook and pointed out all the pictures of food and vegetables being chopped. She loves watching and helping, which I adore. It is such good time with her and the cooking and cleaning up gives us something to do together and builds her confidence. Stuey also is making small attempts at helping as well. He'll crawl over to the dishwasher when Nora and I are unloading it and he'll take out a dish or two and hand them to us.

Yesterday Mary Jane and I took the kids to the beach which was actually quite relaxing-until having to leave. Nora is never ready to leave the beach. I need to bring a timer or something of the sort to help her know when its time to go.
Mary Jane would build a little sand sculptures with the spoons we brought from home and Nora would promptly run over and knock it over. Stuey just sat digging in the sand-fascinated. Lots of the rocks made it into his mouth. Same with Nora.
Now that Stuart is walking, I look forward to lots more beach trips in the months to come. I can see many, many hours spent at Mill Bay beach. Patrick and I both love taking the kids down there.

Tonight I watched The Diving Bell and The Butterfly. Wow. Good movie. Hauntingly good. I read the book in college and wrote a report on it. Makes me want to re-read the book. Beautiful cinematography and amazing, true story.

Zoya

PHOTOS: The only two photos I have thus far of Andrew and Tamara's wedding. Ella was kind enough to forward them to me this evening.
Top: Tamara and Andrew at their wedding in West Virginia yesterday, May 10th.
Bottom: Ella and Dicky at Tamara and Andrew's wedding.

1 comment:

My Little Family: said...

Love that photo of dickie & Ella.
Vickie