Search This Blog

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Snow's Great





It's the end of June and the skiing is still great on Pyramid. We have not had good skiing at the end of June near town for a few years now, but when I first moved to Kodiak in the mid to late 90's we always skiied on Pyramid on the 4rth of July. It sort of marked the end of the ski season close to town. Looks like we'll be doing it again this year!

Today I climbed up Pyramid on a 'three hour tour' with John Larsen. We skiied down to 800 feet in the north bowl (from 2200' at the top of the north bowl). Down near the bottom we were in a ravine and it got a bit sketchy when the snow collapsed into the creek in front of us while we were watching. John had just assured me that he 'skiied it yesterday and it is solid'.

Skiing in late June I love the contrast between the green, green low country and the snow covered uplands. You ski down from the highlands on tongues of snow to a land where summer is in full swing. Golden crowned sparrows and salmonberry blossoms. I guess I got a date for Pyramid on the 4rth of July this year.

No comments: