Search This Blog

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Double Smack-down




Zoya and Stu are spending the weekend with Mary Jane in Seattle while I hold the fort down here in Kodiak with Nora and the doggies. But judging by the weather satellite image it looks like rain and wind will dog both of us. Yesterday it was actually sunny in Kodiak, but the same storm that is smacking Seattle has curved all around and crossed back across the Gulf of Alaska to share some cold chillies with me and Nora today.

Kodiak has had a cold spring. On Thursday we even got a couple inches of new snow on Pyramid and I think I will find new snow up there today too (temp is 40 here in town). The trees are just beginning to bud out and I only saw my first blooming salmonberry less than a week ago. This year I have not even mowed the lawn yet! Generally, I mow the lawn for the first time and see the first salmonberry blooms in early May. So we are about a month behind. Not that I mind! This will mean great skiing well into summer. And the grass and brush is still low, so great hiking too. Usually the grass gets too tall by late June for good hiking. Only downside is that the deer this year might be a little runty with not much fat on them. Patrick

No comments: