Search This Blog

Friday, June 01, 2007

Self Portrait of the Artist as a Young Boy





When Zoya recently came back from her trip to Maine she brought me a stash of old photos that I took in the late 1970s. I had thought they were lost forever and had quit looking for them about 15 years ago. But my brother had found them and gave them to Zoya to bring back to Kodiak. Tonight I started to scan them. Big blast from the past. Most of the pictures are from when we still lived in Virginia or of Maine in the 1970s. There is enough material for lots of 'from the archives' blog entries.

The top photo is of me taking a self portrait in the truck mirror in the spring of 1979 in Maine. The next one is also from 1979 and is of me and my brother Andrew getting ready to go skiing at Sugerloaf Maine. Note the blue jeans and uncomfortable ski gear. It's no wonder that I prefered cross country skiing from an early age. And in the bottom photo I took a photo of my dad while we went cross country skiing at the 'groomed' trails at the Sugerloaf Nordic center. My uncle Sam is huffing along in the background. Note the attire my dad is wearing! A far cry from what one is expected to wear cross country skiing these days. It looks like he might just whip out a cigar! Today the nordic center at Sugerloaf is all wide groomed trails for skate skiing. No one dressed like my dad to be found. Patrick