Search This Blog

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Baby Time Flying By


Life with another child has been a smoother adjustment than either Patrick or I thought it would be. I want to hold on to the cute baby moments- the feel of Stuart's head and hair against my neck, his little breaths against my skin as he sleeps blissfully, the look of contentment on his face as he feeds from me and the little grunts of warning he gives in the middle of the night when he is awakening. The time is so precious and fleeting.

In reflecting on to my time in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit with Stuart, I am still emotional inside when thinking about our 8 days in Anchorage. What a unpredictable, scary time and such a medically invasive way for Stuart to start his life. Every now and then as Stuart breastfeeds I'll have images flash through my head-scenes from the NICU. Good scenes with wonderful nurses as well as images I want to forget- such as Stuart having IV and feeding lines in or him getting a procedure such as an IV placement done. It all seems so far away-like another time. Yet it was only a couple weeks ago. As he nurses away, I am that much more thankful to have him in my arms and able to hold him. The experience in Anchorage left me cherishing the small moments-diaper changing without cords in the way, holding him as much as I want, whenever I want...sleeping with him next to me at night.

Last night Stuart had a 5 minute crying episode where it was difficult to tell what was wrong with him. Eventually he decided to feed and went to sleep. During this period, I was reminded of the hours of crying Nora would do as an infant with her colic-where it was impossible to sooth her. Patrick and I would spend hours walking around the house with her or just sitting with her on the couch until all hours of the night. As Stuart gave his little cries last night, I appreciated how mellow of a baby he is-he cries only when he is hungry or needs changing. Such a big change from my experience with Nora. Gas and colic got the best of her during all hours of the night.

Patrick continues to inspire and amaze me as a dad to Nora, Stuart and husband to me. He is so patient, hardworking and caring to all the "little beings" running around the house-Nora, Stuart, Jake and Roxy. Day after day he is dedicated to taking Nora for a walk through the park. She squeals with delight when she sees that he has arrived home in the afternoon and often runs into the bedroom and gathers her outdoor gear with excitement.

I always knew Patrick would be a good dad-I didn't know it could be this good. He is the best dad to Nora I could imagine. I know that sounds sensationalized to many, but its true. He puts 101% into his daddy roles. I think part of my thrill with his "daddy energy" is that for a while in the beginning of my relationship with Patrick, we split up because he didn't think he ever wanted kids. Now when I see him with our kids, I am so glad that I can share this experience of parenting with him. (ZAS)

No comments: