Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Back in Alaska with SNOW


Yesterday we got back from the East Coast and it was raining HARD and 42 degrees.  Ughhhhhh.  Worse yet , my ski buddies told me there was no snow at all up high after a week of rain while I was away - double ughhhhh.

So this morning when I woke up to more hard rain and 40 degree temperatures I did not hold out much hope of any snow on the mountain.  Still I went up anyways because that's what I do.  Better some exercise hiking in the rain than none at all.

After work I drove out of town with the wipers flapping away, and it looked really ugly.  But then I got to the golf course and I noticed 'cats paws' of sleet on the windscreen.  By the time I got to the parking lot at the pass it was snowing.  Best of all, once I got above about 1600 feet there was over a foot of new snow.  The weather Gods had totally redeemed themselves.

And this was at mid day.  It continued to rain in town for the rest of the day and the temperatures actually dropped into the low 30's.  Keeping my fingers crossed, we should have another 6-8 inches of new snow by tomorrow.

 I am totally amazed that the snow waited until I returned from vacation to cover the mountain.  Usually it snows when I am away and warms up when I return.  I must have done something to please the Weather God.  I am grateful for the snow.  Patrick



No comments: