Search This Blog

Saturday, May 17, 2014

These are better (not glory) days


For the last couple of days I've been pondering whether or not I was disappointed not to make it back to my 30th high school reunion.  Would it have been worth the long trip to see people I once knew very well but had not seen in 30 years?

This morning I saw pictures from the first night of the reunion and it reminded me of the Bruce Springsteen song 'Glory Days'.  Not many of my old classmates look like they 'could throw that speedball by you' or 'turn all the boy's heads'.  It really does look like Springsteen was right when he said:

Glory days well they'll pass you by
Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye

Looking at the pictures I also realized that I probably do not have a lot in common with the people I went to High School with.  It looks like most of them are bankers and lawyers.  Very successful people who would not be all that impressed that I'm an archaeologist and feed my family with deer I chase down and butcher, or that I get to ski a lot. I'm not sure they'd really get the whole Kodiak lifestyle.

So already this morning I was thinking it might not have been such a bad thing that I didn't go to the reunion.  Then I went skiing and was struck by the gorgeous day - bright sunny skies, kids playing on the beach as I drove by Mill Bay, and ocean all the way to the horizon with a blue, blue sky.  I got up on the snow and realized that I'd much rather be up in the mountains on a sunny day skiing than listening to stories about 'Glory Days'.  And then on the way home I listened to another song by Bruce Springsteen - 'Better Days'.

These are better days baby
Yeah there's better days shining through
These are better days baby
Better days with a girl like you


It might sound corny but it is true - these are better days.  I know I can't go up the mountain quite as fast as I used to do it but that does not mean I am any less happy.  These are better days - it's true.  Patrick

My tracks on the mountain this morning - already above 70 degrees!

No comments: