Search This Blog

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Birth Matters

I've wanted to teach birthing classes for years and now with my own business, I am able. Tonight I wrapped up my first 8 week course with 8 couples. It was so fun to be part of this time with them.

When I was pregnant with Nora, I took part of the hospital course and left wanting MUCH MORE. I felt so passionate about natural birthing techniques and wanted to be inspired by someone--to show me how to do it. The hospital class was, well, a hospital class. A standard hospital agenda-class with the anesthesiologist, learning about cesarean deliveries, learning about interventions and a little bit on breathing. Hmmm.

The person inspiring me ended up being my twin sister, who was due 3 months prior to me, was induced and did a hypnobirthing program which I became fascinated by. She sent the materials when she was done with them and I was on my way to a natural birth-no matter what. If Ella did it, I could do it. Nothing like a little twin competitive juices to get the birth of my dreams!


So I resorted to doing a LOT of reading about birth. And I prepared myself. And I had the births of my dreams. Feeling confident and supported by friends and doulas.

When I was working at the hospital, I was always curious about teaching birthing classes with more practice, hands on time.
After having my babies, I had an even stronger desire to teach classes, but I didn't see that there would be a need for another class at Providence. Why would they support another birthing class? (Plus, in all honesty, in working with a large organization like Providence, I felt that every word I said would have been more under the microscope-making sure I don't say anything "anti-hospital" or anti-institution. In all actuality, I feel more middle of the road-as I had fabulous births at the hospital and felt VERY supported by the staff there. They listened to all my wants/needs/concerns. However, that said, the hospital is not a birth center, and because of the nature of maternity care in a medical setting, there can be more interventions and monitoring, which can lead a woman down a path to epidural or cesarean section.)

And now I"m living my dream with teaching childbirth preparation classes.

Some may wonder, "What qualifications do you have to have to do that?"

There is a child birth educator certificate which I'm working towards and part of the training is teaching a series of classes. Also, with my physical therapy degree, I am confident explaining the anatomy and physiology of labor/delivery and how it pertains to helping women get in the right positions to move their baby down. It is all about understanding the pelvis and how gravity works!!

Often childbirth classes are taught by a nurse. And I wondered if since I wasn't a nurse if could really teach them. My wonderful friend Marias kindly reminded me that I have plenty of experience, knowledge and education on the topic to confidently lead women through the process of preparing women for the experience of childbirth.

This first series was 8 weeks and I had a great time. I passed out evaluations today at the end of class and was giddy with excitement to read them once I got home. I was quite nervous-wondering if people got anything out of the class and this would be a big determinant on whether I teach another series. And fortunately, the reviews were good! I'm thrilled. There are so many things I want to improve on for the next series and I see this as an exciting work in progress.

What did I learn from this first series?

1) the importance for socialization of the couples AND really listening to the couples--including the father. So often childbirth classes can leave the father out and this is actually a big component of the course. Hands on practice for them to practice contractions, practice supporting their partner. Its a big confidence booster for them to have a role play chance to see how it might feel to help coax their partner through a contraction. I really enjoyed hearing the questions/concerns from the father and to see their confidence build.

2)Women in our society benefit from positive messages about their bodies birthing a baby. There are so many "horror" stories and a large function of the class is to promote confidence in them that this is a normal, healthy experience and to trust that their body can birth their baby.

I am so thrilled that 8 couples entrusted me with their childbirth education experience and feel blessed to be part of that journey-and it was SO FUN!

3 of the women have had their babies and there are 5 more to go this spring. I plan on doing a reunion with them in mid-may so they can all meet eachothers babies. I already had 1 reunion after the first 3 had their babies so they could share their wonderful birth stories with the still-pregnant crowd.

I"ve also begun to recognize that there is a big gap in post-partum attention for moms--as far as helping them get their bodies back to normal after delivery. I've started a mom-baby exercise session every Wednesday from 11-12. Its fun for the moms to get together after having their babies and to get guidance in all the things they can do to help their bodies and backs feel better after labor or delivery.

Zoya

No comments: