Search This Blog

Friday, March 27, 2009

More crust cruising



Today was my first day on skis since the big snow storm. And what a difference - we got a lot of snow now! All the salmonberries are covered and the ditches filled in with snow. I can ski anywhere. The only problem is that the crust is really bumpy. The rain at the end of the storm created melt runnels and lots of little dimples. Today whenever I hit top speed it took a lot of effort to stay in control. But the rain also created the crust that allows me to skate ski on top - so who am I to complain?

Photos: Top photo is of Pyramid mountain above the big ravine that is the headwaters of the Buskin River. I often see mountain goats in this ravine - but none today. Bottom photo is a view back to where I started my ski - I parked the car on the other side of Buskin Lake which is visible in the distance on the right side of this photo. Patrick

No comments: