Search This Blog

Friday, March 13, 2009

Bedtime Rituals


(this post was written on the airplane down to Eugene...I'm now sitting in the Anchorage airport waiting to return to Kodiak)

Parenting rituals

Daily rituals are such a big part of parenting and one that I really love in our house is putting the kids to bed. Anyone who has spent any amount of time in our house in the past 3.5 years knows that in the past bed time was NOT the most peaceful of times in the Saltonstall’s. Sadly enough, was often greeted with cries and rebellion from Nora. No matter how much down down, prep time, ritual we gave her. Now wer’re at a balance where there isn’t the constant struggle and the kids go to bed without defiance.

Patrick lays on the couch as I get them changed into their “jam-jams” (pajamas). As of late, Nora refuses to let Patrick get her ready, so I’ve been doing it. Then there is brushing teeth. They have their little Dora and Hello Kitty electric tooth brushes and we’re able to get about 20 seconds of brushing in. Probably about 2 minutes shorter than the hygienist’s of the world would like to see.

Nora climbs onto the couch with Patrick and lays down next to him while they read a book. Stuey comes to my lap on the floor and either grabs a book to flip through or her nurses for a few minutes. When Patrick has finished reading the book to Nora, he tells her a story. Often it is about something simple-like a daily routine of what happens on a day in the life of our family. Nora loves this—and often likes stories which involve her and flying or going on the ferry. She likes all the details about what everyone does on the airplane, what everyone eats and drinks, etc…
It really takes very little to make it a good enough story, and after she climbs into bed and says “tuck me in, Mamma. Only mamma.” If Patrick dares try to tuck her in, she bums out.

I lay Stuey in his crib and put a blanket over him. If hes tired enough he doesn’t resist this. I sing him the abcs, often doing the signs with my hand for the letters-he likes this. He is starting to sing along with a couple of the letters.
Then I go to Nora and sing her the patty cake song. At the end I say, “mark it with a N, P, M & D, then put it in the oven for Nora, Stuey, Mommy, Daddy and me.” Last night she said, “roxy and Jake, mamma.” It was the first time she really called me on the fact that we have been doing this song for months and left out critical members of our family!

Then I tuck her in, and lately she likes lots of sweet hugs before I leave the room. The door remains open until I go to bed, at which time I check on them and shut the door. I know it is cliché, but any parent will agree, I believe, how watching kids sleep is one of the sweetest things in the world.

Zoya

No comments: