Search This Blog

Sunday, April 13, 2008

To Elbow Creek and Back


Crust cruised to Elbow Creek from the outlet to Buskin Lake and back in an hour and 45 minutes. Ok, not all the way to Sheratin Bay, but to the headwaters of Elbow Creek. And now that I have the route all figured out, if I did have 3 hours free time and conditions like today I could have gone all the way to Sheratin Bay. I left around 11AM before it go too warm and the crust was perfect. If I wanted to loose speed on the downhills it was a simple matter to throw in a snowplow turn. But now that I know the way so well I hardly needed to break - I just flew.

The photo is looking down the Elbow Creek drainage to Sheratin Bay with Elbow mountain on the left and the backside of Sheratin mountain on the right. Today I decided not to go too far because I was worried the crust would get too soft and my skiis would break through, bogging me down. As it was, by the time I got to Buskin Lake the crust was already getting soft and slow. Patrick

No comments: