Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

A Herd of Happy Toddlers





MONDAY FUN
On Monday night, Mike, Roxann, Cecilia and Mary Jane came over for dinner. Just a random dinner get together-perhaps to celebrate the beginning of the week! :)
The kids all played together so well. We are seeing the very beginnings of being able to sit back for a moment or two and watch the kids chase each other around the house. They were a little pack of laughter, giggles and cries moving from room to room. Roxann was particularly excellent about chasing them around and doing disaster management when need be. Mike and Patrick sat on the computer watching the end of the basketball games and MJ and I sat on the couch while I ate lots of peanut M&Ms. Yummm...my favorite. Mike brought them over for dessert.

Cecilia is so sweet with Stuey. She would give him hugs and was very good to him. I believe Nora LOVES being the big kid in the group. So fun to see the dynamics develop.

As Patrick and I say over and over again...we're so glad people still want to be our friends even though we have kids! And we're so thrilled that people will come to our house, because it sure is easy for us with putting them straight to bed.

SECURITY BLANKET

Today Stuey perhaps adopted a security blanket. It is the sweetest thing ever-Stuart crawling around the house while holding on to his blanket. I LOVE IT!! The blanket is a knit blanket that my Aunt Barbie knitted for Nora when she was born.

I called my friend Alexis to tell her about it and she mentioned that the blanet may be a "transitional object"...often used with helping ease the weaning process.
I started crying. I don't know where the tears came from and I didn't know if they were of joy or sadness. I think both.

"...so this means Stuart may wean soon?" I asked Alexis.

"...Oh Zoya, I didn't mean to make you cry. No, not necessarily. Some kids find the transitional object on their own and some parents introduce one to give to the child while nursing so they associate the object with comfort. " She replied.

"No, no..this is good, I just didn't even think of his security blanket replacing me...and nursing." I pondered.

The thought of him having an item which will bring him comfort and with which he can sooth himself is exciting. On the other hand I had a moment of Stuey-isn't-as-much-of-a-baby-anymore which filled me with sadness. My little baby is more like a little guy. So mobile, verbal, expressive and funny. He really is turning into Mr. Personality. Even Patrick has lately admitted this. Stuey laughs a lot, plays peek a boo, claps his hands and does things to get me to smile....he is Mr. Charmer. I know-Every parent in North America says this about their son. It is quite cliche sounding. But it really is true. Thats more cliche sounding, eh?!!

This whole parenting thing is a journey-one filled with emotions, thoughts and feelings I never knew existed inside myself. To look at my little guy and his security blanket and be filled with so much joy for him as she crawls around the house smiling. I suppose my overriding feeling is excitement that he is becoming more independent and so much more interactive. Patrick said tonight he vividly remembers the security blanket he had until he was 5 or 6. He remembers bringing it with him all the time. I would LOVE to see a picture of him with his little blanket...

Zoya

Photos
Me and Mike (the chefs-Mike prepared the prime rib and I prepared a cream spinach and meditteranean zucchini dish)
KIDS, KIDS more KIDS. Kids getting into trouble in the bathroom. BUSTED! :)

1 comment:

Mary said...

Awww, Zoya. I so understand the tears. It's exciting and sad at the same time to watch them grow up and become their own little people. My (almost) 6 year old still spends plenty of time snuggling his security blanket.