Search This Blog

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Garden Green

Peas, onions and some carrots

Since we got back from Old Harbor I've been doing a lot of weeding in the garden.  This year in anticipation of being gone so much I really simplified the garden.  I planted very few things and what I did plant does not need much maintenance.  And I am happy to report that the garden is doing GREAT.  In years past I remember that things were barely growing by this date.  And last year it was a weedy mess.

Radishes have turned out to be a great addition to the garden.  I actually do not like radishes and only planted them because they grow quickly and I wanted something to grow quick to please the kids.  And the kids (especially Stuey) have loved harvesting the radishes.  And I have been pleasantly surprised at how much I like radish greens.  Also I made really simple 'refrigerator' pickles out of the radishes and they taste GREAT.  Basically I just created a 'man recipe' (ie completely improvised) and put coriander and fennel seeds, salt and some sugar in a jar with sliced radishes and then topped it up with apple cider vinegar.  They turned out excellent.  Patrick

Lettuce, carrots, radishes (mostly harvested) and some swiss chard

Partially mulched potatoes and newly planted kale

Nasturtium leaves

No comments: