Search This Blog

Sunday, May 15, 2011

First Salmonberry Blossom


On Saturday I saw my first salmonberry blossom - in my own yard no less. And on the same day I mowed the lawn for the first time. Year after year these 2 events seem to be closely entwined occurrences. I keep a close watch on the day-to-day happenings related to our yearly climate. Such events as the ice letting out on a particular lake, the first crocus blossom, the last day I skiied to the road at the pass, last snowfall, shorebird arrivals, the last frost etc. This way I know how the particular year stacks up against the norm. It also helps me know when to plant the garden and when the deer will go out of velvet (early springs mean the deer also go out of velvet early), and much, much more.

This year has been pretty average. No extreme cold during the winter, but no extended warm spells either. A bit drier than normal, and we did not get much snow up high this winter. As a result, of late the snow has been disappearing at an alarming rate because we never had much to begin with. Still it has been a cold spring - winter has lingered a bit longer than usual. In years past I've seen my first salmonberry blossom in April. Mowed the lawn in April too. In terms of the average I think we are about a week or a little less behind.

But as far as I am concerned the further behind the better. Go winter! I was very happy to find new snow on the mountain when I went skiing today. Patrick

No comments: