Search This Blog

Monday, June 08, 2009

Nora and Stuey Playland?






I am an archaeologists wife, and at times I forget about one of the perks of being married to an archaeologist. Being able to go along on a dig, live in camp, and do the things you would imagine on an archaeology trip. Since having kids, this vision has included little Nora and Stuey running around camp, playing in the out-take (back dirt) dirt pile, helping cook meals, playing pretend games, going on hikes, etc. Up until now, the kids have been too small to seriously consider taking them. When Patrick called from his most recent trip near Pilot Point on the Bristol Bay side of the Alaska peninsula, he said, "Maybe you could bring the kids out here next summer when we come back to do the more extensive survey". I liked the sound of this. Visions of campfires and camp life sprung into my head.

When Mark and Patrick returned, I asked Mark more about what the site was like, as Patrick was talking on the phone,

"So, is there beaches there that the kids could play on?" I asked Mark.

"Hmmmm. No not really. The deep banks of the hills go into a deep River." He replied.

"Oh. Well that doesn't sound all that great for kids. How about hiking? Is there good hiking?" I questioned.

"Well, lots of grass but there is lots of poshkie too," he informed me.

"Oh, great. You're really selling me on this as a good place to take the kids," I joked.

For about a day I was quite decided that it wouldn't be a good place for me to go with the kids for a week or so while Patrick is there for 4 weeks with a medium sized crew doing a full house excavation.

But then after watching Patrick download his photos, my mind was changed. Sure, there isn't an incredible beach for the kids to play on. Sure, there may be killer mosquitos. Sure, there may not be great hiking. But it is remote, absolutely stunningly beautiful and it would be the experience of a lifetime.
It just might be a perfect Nora, Stuey and Mommy playland!!

Zoya

Photos: Scenics from Patrick's most recent trip.

4 comments:

Marnie said...

And apparently there is not a lot of fresh water readily available. They washed dishes in the river. Kids with diarrhea, mmm. Am I convincing you yet?

Zoya said...

Only time I've seen REALLY bad diarrhea in a camp was when people used soap and did not rinse it off well enough. The mud actually cleaned our dishes off very well - cut the grease completely. And we used bleach and vitamin C to sterilize our drinking water. We had great water.

Patrick

JHHL said...

Zoya, you and the kids would love the site! (We'll have to get Marnie out there as well!) Don't let the water haul deter you from providing your family with an amazing adventure. The location is remote but feels very comfortable. By day two I felt like our camp was home and was very sad to leave. Imagine the memories Nora & Stuey could gather after four weeks. Imagine the family photographs! In the end, camp food just tastes better out there and time moves to a different rhythm. And there is the dramatic scenery, amazing wildlife, and wonderful sense of magic living on a rise of land where ancient people walked, lived, and loved.
Oh, and for selfish reasons, I would like to have you on-site to keep Patrick from being sad (& wearing down the sat phone batteries)! He would certainly be a very happy camper!
Carpe Diem...

Zoya said...

the more I think about the trip, the more I can't wait to take the kids. I think it'd be a fun adventure!!
Zoya