Search This Blog

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Abercrombie Green


Not so long ago there was snow under these trees, and the trail was hardened with glare ice. Now it is green, green, green as far as you can see under the trees. Once the devils club and salmonberry get really tall and leafy then you will be able to see less and less far. Later in the summer it gets so thick that you have to stick to the trails. Then comes fall, and all the devils club leaves turn yellow and soon the understory is clear again. I wonder if the dogs notice? They seem to love walks no matter what the season. Patrick

2 comments:

Anji Gallanos said...

I don't know if Kodiak gets huge skunk cabbage like we do in Juneau...but I love the huge leafy greens of Devils Club (evil mean thing that it is). I also love how everything transforms into an amazing prehistoric looking forest in the summers. Enjoy!

Zoya, Patrick, Nora and Stuart said...

We do get skunk cabbage, but I think we are at the edge of its range and it does not get huge. And yes you are right - I too love nasty old devils club. I even thought about planting some in the yard! Love the yellow leaves and red berries in the fall. Patrick