Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Tuesday Eve update

Another great day of progress for Stuart. More good dirty diapers, great breastfeeding....nurse Carol would call every 3 or so hours when he would start waking and I would be there within minutes to feed him. Feels so great to finally be able to breastfeed. He is still on a tiny amount of oxygen-and his respirations are still faster than normal. Hard to tell how much longer he'll be here. I figure if its 1 day or 3 days or 5 days...its whatever he needs. As the nurses say, the little ones dictate the weaning process from the oxygen. They're the bosses!

It seems that by 8 or 9 at night I get more wiped out and emotional about him being in the hospital. Today I did well until I got ready to leave him for the night. He lay there in his little bed with the oxygen tube in, little red spots on his face from random bandages which have been removed in the past several days and I get sad. I hate to leave him all night. But I know I would run ragged if I went in every 3 hours at night. So the nurses said they'll bottle feed him and they'll call me if he refuses that. I don't want him fed through the tube in his nose anymore-now that he can breastfeed. Hopefully the tube will be gone by morning.

Today he had a nurse who has had him for 3 day shifts of his hospital stay. Nurse Carol. She took such good care of him. She doesn't work again till Saturday and hopefully we'll be gone by then. But if we're still here, I imagine he would (hopefully) be on her caseload again. All the nurses are so amazing with their work. They handle the babies so well and are wonderfully compassionate and supportive. I admire the work they do. So many monitors and lights and crying babies to respond to.

Talked to Patrick a couple times today-sounds like he is tempted to start dipping into Nora's dirty clothes pile for Nora's outfits. I would suggest he do laundry, except that he has broken the handle on our washing machine twice and I'm scared it would happen again.

The repair guy was over just a few days before I left fixing it. He ordered 1 more additional handle which is in our cabinet-I think he knows it could quite possibly happen again. Smart repair guy!! Patrick has a bit of history of trying to force the door open when it is on the "lock" mode. I think he sort of likes that hes not encouraged to do laundry now!! I just don't want Nora running around in grubby clothes. But I guess in the grand scheme of things, its not a big deal.

I've been thinking about her hair and combing it, too. It probably has a little rats nest in it. I'll do some work with the hair detangler spray when I get home and I'm sure she'll be fine. Funny how some of these little house details creep into my mind now and then!

Off to bed to get some zzzzz's and can't wait to see little Stuey bright and early in the morning.

No comments: