Search This Blog

Monday, February 12, 2007

Monday update...from Zoya

Another day of good progress for Stuart. He is fully fed from breastmilk now via a tube which goes straight to his stomach. Prior to this, he was given supplemental electrolytes,glucose and vitamins through IV. He has feedings every 3 hours and during the day I hold him for these, chnange his diaper, take his temperature. His nurse today was excellent....she had him in a little blue and white striped outfit-his first time in clothes. I loved seeing him in a little outfit.

His oxygen needs also continue to decrease but his respirations remain higher than normal still. The nurses explain how this is his way of "fighting off" whatever it is that caused this....whether it be a slight pneumonia or something else. He is still on antibiotics for 2 more days.

Today he is looking so much more relaxed. He gets that "punch drunk love" look after a feeding where he has the reflexive smile in his sleep and he looks so relaxed. It is the first day he has done this. I think up till this point he has been working so hard on breathing and healing that he hasn't been able to "kick back and relax".

I continue to do fairly well. Today I ventured out to a store to buy some hairclips. My sister Bonnie loaned me her car. Bless her heart. It felt good to go for a drive. THe salesgirl said, "So, when are you due?". I smiled and said, "Oh, I had my baby 4 days ago." She looked at me with a blank look and didn't know what to say. I could see she was thinking...."I"m never going to ask someone that question again."....I wasn't bummed...heck-I look 20 weeks pregnant. I thought it was pretty funny actually.

I appreciate the phone calls of support and words of encouragement. Every once in a while I get waves of sadness, but for the most part I"m doing very well. And when I do get a wave of sadness, I call someone and it helps to let the tears flow. The nurse today said, "Zoya, lets face it...you've got a chubby, otherwise healthy, wonderful, strong baby boy who is just needing some extra time for his lungs to kick into gear." I appreciated her telling me this. :)

Patrick continues to do amazing on the homefront...and he is going to get added support from friends this week for taking Nora in the afternoon so he can get his exercise in....thanks to Claudia, Alexis, Marias....his exercise will help him get through this week of single parenting. We feel so blessed to have such wonderful people around us!! Nora is donig so many new things since I left. Its going to be so fun to see all the changes that occur in 10-14 days!! I miss her and Patrick so badly. I can't wait for our little family unit to be under one roof once again.

Off to bed....I'll be up at 5:30 for Stuey's 6:15 feeding. Can't wait to begin my day with him tomorrow!

No comments: