Search This Blog

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Nora's 2nd Birthday





Today was Nora's birthday and i was more excited for it than I ever would've imagined! The anticipation of Nora seeing her cake, eating dinner with friends and just talking with her about her birthday!

The morning started off with her wanting oatmeal for breakfast-something we haven't had in the cabinet for a week. So we went to Safeway, she sat in the little fake car in the front of the shopping cart. I picked up several other non-essential items along the way-some fruit, carnations, a donut for me. Nora squealed when we reached the oatmeal section and she held on tightly to her oatmeal box. We breezed through the checkout line and I was on our way out the door when it occured to me that Nora was still clinging to her oatmeal ox. We hadn't paid for it. So we stood in line and paid for the oatmeal. Close call!!

After a leisurely breakfast, Patrick and I decided that a road trip to Kalsin bay beach for fishing and walking along the beach was in order. The drive went smoothly-Stuey slept and I loved the opportunity to take my Forrester for a spin and put the car into 5th gear a few times! Patrick tended to Noras needs in the back seat-the game of charades of trying to guess what she wants. Food? Water? Toy?

Stuey awakes and we arrive to Kalsin Bay. Perfect timing.

The beach was so quiet. It was 11 AM and no one was there. Patrick walked along and looked for jumping silvers. There were jumping fish-but they were humpys. He gave a few casts and walked on ahead further down the beach to scout for better fishing.

Nora and I hung behind. I think it didn't take her long to want daddy around so I ended up carrying Nora until we were reunited with Stuart and Patrick.

The crashing of the small waves along the beach was so calming and beautiful. There wasn't the sound of people or cars to cloud the beauty of the water.

On the drive home, we repeated the song "ba, ba black sheep" on the kids CD and before we knew it, both kiddos were asleep. yeah!

For dinner tonight we had Karen and Jeremy and their friend Jack, Gregg, and Mary Jane. Deer roast, salad (homegrown lettuce and carrots), homemade bread (by Gregg), roasted garden veggies (potatoes, beets, thyme, rosemary). Nora was quite excited about her cake. I asked the cake place to make it in the shape of a watering tin-like a garden watering tin. Their pink rendition turned out pretty cute. Except the licorice meant to be the handle broke. The ice cream cone was meant to look like a spout.

Nora opened her first gift all by herself tonight. Lisa McCormick made her a silver bracelet-and she loves it. We put it right on her and she hasn't taken it off. She walks around the house with it on, rather proud of herself! It fits so cute around her chubby wrist!!
I only wish Lisa could've been there to see her open it. Fortunately we got it on video, so we'll show it to her. (Lisa is out of town in Juneau on a business trip.)

It was a fun 2nd birthday. I couldn't imagine a day more perfect. Now Nora winds down by playing in the sink as I write this, Stuey sleeps away in our bed and Patrick is only 100 pages till the end of Harry Potter. He was up until 1 AM last night reading it. I think he is as eager to finish it as I am for him to finish it!! Zoya

No comments: