Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"No", Raffi and Parenting Musings

As of late, Nora has started saying "No". As a parent, I know that soon I'll wish she didn't know that word, but I am just enjoying her new ability to say "no". She shakes her head very sweetly and softly says, "noooo". I don't mind one bit when she says no, as she has an opinion about it and she is (finally) able to express it. I smile inside and out.


Tonight I introduced Patrick to the world of Raffi-popular child acoustic musician since the 80's. We got a Raffi in concert video in the mail from Cathy and Mike for Nora's birthday and tonight after dinner we watched it. Nora digs Raffi -big time. When Raffi says, "stomp your feet" or "stretch your arms up" Nora goes right along with him.

And amazingly enough, I don't get sick of it one bit. Raffi is an acoustic solo guitarist who engages kids (and adults) with his children songs. Patrick made jokes here and there about Raffi during the video but by the end, Patrick said, "I have to admit...he is pretty captivating."


The other day I was in the hosptial for a meeting. I brought Stuey and by the end of it, I had nursed him to sleep. Since the meeting ended I put him on my shoulder and he stayed sleeping. I walked out to the elevators. Several people walked by including a nurse. The conversation went like this:

Nurse: Ohhh....what a cute baby.

Me: Thanks. He just fell asleep.

Nurse: Ohh.....I just miss those days of when my guy was small.

Me: (sigh) Do you remember how much work it is?

Nurse-silent.

Then I felt really bad for replying the way I did. I wanted to belt out, "I think you have selective mommy amnesia."
Granted, she caught me on a morning after a VERY rough night of sleep, with Stuey in a case of serious diaper rash, teething, etc...

Me: Oh, well you remember-sleepless nights, teething....

The nurse just looked at me and smiled as she got in the elevator to go down.

I don't know who the nurse was-she must be new on the floor since I have been at the hospital.

So many people tell me how they miss the baby days, and I'm sure they do-but they probably don't remember the fatigue, sleepwalking feeling which can accompany the first few months.
And I know I will miss the baby feel, snuggle, coos....and I do wish I could bottle that to experience forever.

That said, I learned to just keep my mouth shut, no matter how tired and sleep deprived I am.


Zoya