Search This Blog

Thursday, January 11, 2007

More Shishaldin



Shishaldin was so spectacular I could not resist adding more pictures. This one on the left makes it look a little bigger. As we climbed it we could never believe it was so tall since the summit always looked 'so close'. Yet it never seemed to get any closer! It took something like 8 hours to climb to the top. Good thing it is practically light till midnight in Alaska in late May.

The other photo shows what it looked like up on top. The steam smelled terrible! I felt like I was in an airplane at cruising altitude above the clouds. This view is looking out over the fog cover on the Bering Sea side of the mountain. On the Pacific side it was clear and we could see out over the ocean.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cool! I'm looking to go to shishaldin this april. i'd love to chat with you about it. could you email me at reuben.krabbe@gmail.com I'd love to talk about how to make a trip to that mountain work

Zoya, Patrick, Nora and Stuart said...

Reuben, No email for me here on Hawaii, but I will when I get back home. It is a very worthwhile mountain to climb and the ski down is sublime. Just be prepared to wait at the bottom for a weather window. Patrick