Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Playing Hookey


Yesterday morning my friend Dale emailed, and asked if I wanted to go skiing in the mountains behind Bell's Flats after he got off work at 4PM.  Initially I thought, 'I can't do that - that's when I'm supposed to be at home with the family'.  But then I thought, 'Wow, it's a beautiful day and supposed to rain for the rest of the week - maybe I should'.

The offer made me realize that I have become locked into a routine.  I go to work in the morning, then a quick ski afterwards, then home for house chores and family time.  Certainly not a bad routine - but maybe I should be mixing it up a bit more.  In the old days before family I used to go for evening skis all the time.  And what's the difference, in terms of home life, between going for a ski in the evening or off to a meeting?

And so off we went up to the snow and it was spectacular.  An hour and a half after leaving the car we were tearing off our climbing skins and getting ready to 'shred' the slopes.  It was a gorgeous evening and we did 4 runs.  The snow was perfectly corned up and the sunshine warm.  In the distance you could see the sea -  on both sides to the East and the West.  By the time we quit skiing there was a sun dog around the sun presaging incoming weather.  I was home by 9:30.  Patrick




Dale's son Perry was also up there enjoying the day on his "sno' cycle"


Sun Dogs telling us that rain is on the way

No comments: