Search This Blog

Friday, May 08, 2015

Garden In & Weed Free

Potato patch and garlic

The garden is finally all planted.  Given our early spring it is actually in a bit late. Our last frost was back in mid to late April.  For the past couple of weeks I've been trying to do a little something every day -  Just one task a day.   The hard part was changing out the soil from all the raised beds.  Each bed had become 'diseased with weeds' and so I took all the soil out of each and put it into the potato patch.  I used soil from the potato patch to replace the soil in the veggie beds.  That's a lot of dirt digging and wheel burrowing.  I also added compost to each raised bed.  And then I had to dig the trenches and get the beach peat for the potato patch - it all took time.

But it is all planted now.  And weed free to boot.  Of course there is nothing growing but the garlic I planted last fall and the kale that never died.  The garlic already seems huge.  I can't wait to try my first clove of home grown garlic! Patrick

Close up of garlic and carrots and radishes (a few have already sprouted in foreground)

Potato patch with red currants on right

Far - lettuce and carrots; Near - swiss chard, beets and carrots

Last year's kale - I'll be planting new kale and parsley here in a few weeks

No comments: