Search This Blog

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Importance of a ski lift

The other day while climbing up Pyramid for my daily ski I pondered the importance of a ski lift.  When I am away from Kodiak, and tell people I try to ski everyday during winter they invariably ask about Kodiak's ski lift.  And when I tell them that Kodiak does not have a ski lift they ask how I get up the mountain.  The assumption is that without a lift it is impossible to downhill ski.

What's funny is that I doubt I would ski everyday if there was a lift. I don't climb the mountain to ski down.  I climb the mountain because I enjoy climbing and need the exercise.  I do some of my best thinking while climbing up the mountain and look forward to that and NOT the ski down.

And when I do go to a ski area with a lift I generally get bored after just a few runs.  At the Alyeska Ski Resort in Girdwood I struggle to ski more than a couple hours!

On Pyramid most of the days I go skiing the downhill portion is awful.  Ice underfoot, or blowing snow and rain in the eyes - not good ski conditions.  But I go up anyway because I need the exercise and 'thinking' time.  A ski lift would just ruin the experience!  Patrick

Mike and Gregg climbing Pyramid in snowier days - Easter 2006

No comments: