Search This Blog

Monday, November 11, 2013

Goodbye Roxy



This morning we said good bye to our beloved Roxy. The goodbyes were painful for all of us, but especially the kids. They knew that when they returned home from school, that Roxy wouldn't be at home. Moments in time don't get much harder than that.

In the past 2 days, Roxy had taken a major turn for the worst with her health and wasn't even eating her pain pills disguised in hot dogs. Patrick and I looked at each other and knew inside our hearts that this was the time.

Later in the day, I went to work  and had the most healing conversations about pets with my clients. I was forthcoming with the fact that my dog passed away and people were very understanding and shared in the moment with me.

Clients told stories of 20 year old cats, animals which touched their lives forever, illness...I am really blessed by a caseload of thoughtful, caring people. Today on my job as a physical therapist, I felt very well taken care of. And when I retuned home, friends and neighbors brought by cookies and hugs. And moments to share in the sadness of the loss. I appreciated this.

A client dropped off  a children's book titled "Dog Heaven" and it talked of dogs running as fast as they can in big open fields the moment they get to dog heaven. And eating ham flavored dog biscuits all the time. I read it to the kids at bedtime, tears streaming down my face.

I know Roxy is so happy to be able to run through the fields again and enjoy unlimited ham flavored biscuits under the angel's dinner tables!

Thank you to Roxy for being such a wonderful gift to our family.

Zoya

2 comments:

Jessy said...

I'm so sorry about the loss of your Roxy. We have an old dog too, and I get weepy just thinking about it. Hugs to your whole family!

My Little Family: said...

Hugs to all of you. I've been there several times. It's difficult but they depend on to make that decision for them.

As a friend once said, death is the ultimate healing. No more suffering for Roxy.