Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Stormy Fall Weather & NO HEAT


It's getting to be fall - Termination dust on the mountains, temperatures in the 30's at night, and the lawn has finally stopped growing. All the cottonwoods are turning yellow and it seems we've gotten into the Fall weather pattern of a big storm every three or four days followed by clear windy weather. This year cool weather has been late arriving - I don't ever remember the hills around town staying so green so late. Patrick


NO HEAT
As of late, I'm on a mission to not turn on the heat.So far, we haven't turned it on. Not sure what has gotten into me this fall. I think if we can get by with little or no heat, then its energy cost savings.

Late last fall we had the windows replaced in our kitchen and last spring the windows in the back of the house replaced. Since this was done, our house is much less of a tent. Our kitchen warms up even without heat on-especially when food is on the stove or in the oven. And we spend most of our time in the kitchen, anyhow.

The key to doing "no heat" living is warm baths. I take one in the morning before getting ready and a really hot one right before bed. It doesn't have to be a long bath-even just 5-10 minutes does the job. Getting ready for bed in the cold bedroom then climbing into a cold bed is the part that is the hardest without heat. Something about being heated to the bone by the water keeps my body warm for several hours. And I sleep so much better, too with a bath before bed. Plus, Nora really enjoys the morning baths with me--she calls it her "mommy time".

Over the years, I have become more accustomed to a cooler house. When I first met Patrick, I remember insisting that the thermostat be at 70. I cringe when I think back to those days. Patrick must've been roasting.

Zoya

No comments: