Search This Blog

Friday, September 18, 2009

Zoya Braves the Waters of Mill Bay




Today I swam in Mill Bay. The Kodiak City Parks and Recreation Department made me do it. Really. The new pool is built and not available for public use. The Coast Gaurd pool is closed for maintenance. So that leaves me with 7 weeks to train for a 1/2 mile swim, 10 mile bike and 3 mile run with no pool. Triathlon on November 7th on Catalina Island, California.

So Patrick dared me. A sister of mine feared for my life with the sea lions. Today I donned our wetsuit and walked down to the beach. There was a little bit of surf and a LOT of kelp to battle through as I headed out Mill Bay.

I could hear Patrick cheer from above off the cliff, which gave me energy. It was quite liberating to swim without the prospect of getting into a swimsuit, worrying about the pool lap schedule, etc, etc...all those little details. In the next few weeks I want to swim across Mill bay with Patrick in a boat next to me. He says its about 1/2 mile.

We made a 1 minute mini-movie of the adventure...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KtmEm8FsLo

Zoya

2 comments:

Ishmael said...

Sweet! Good for you!

Ella S said...

YEAHHHH ZOYA! You go girl! I knew you could do it!