Search This Blog

Saturday, August 08, 2009

Our Buskin Beach 'Staycation'







Last night Patrick and I took the kids on a Kodiak 'staycation'--a vacation right here in Kodiak at the Buskin River campsites.

[sidenote From Wickipedia: A staycation is a neologism for a period of time in which an individual or family stays at home and relaxes at home or takes day trips from their home to area attractions. Common activities of a staycation include use of the backyard pool, visits to local parks and museums, and attendance at local festivals. Some staycationers also like to follow a set of rules, such as setting a start and end date, planning ahead, and avoiding routine, with the goal of creating the feel of a traditional vacation.]

For several weeks I've been talking about wanting to take the kids camping and we had tossed around the idea of trying to boat to an island for a camping trip, but it just became too complicated.
I asked myself, "What do I desire from a camping trip?". I wanted to see how the kids would do with camping, as this was to be their first time. Also, I just wanted a good technology getaway and something different--something fun.

Last night we packed up the car VERY quickly after Patrick came home from work and off we went to the Buskin River campsites. I was born and raised in Kodiak and have to admit that I had never seen these great campsites before! They are SO WELL maintained--benches painted, lawns mowed, great firepits...just perfect accomodations!! Nora kept saying, "mom, this is so nice here. Nice benches, bears won't get us, its really bright, tent is good....". She was just so thrilled to be there!

Her enthusiasm was contagious!! From the moment we pulled up, I felt like we were worlds away from our "regular life" as we put up the tent and started the fire.

The only food we brought was hotdogs, marshmellows and a box of white wine. Pretty simple. Patrick remembered the condiments...ketchup, mustard and relish-but somehow we managed to forget papertowels or napkins of any sort! Oh well. I'm sure we won't forget those next time.

When it came time to wash dishes, a quick trip to the river did the trick. There were lots of people in the campground and it was fun to see all the different types of camper and tent accomodations people had.

Sleep time came and I must have slept because I dreamt for a few minutes, but that is the only way I know I went to sleep. I was cold. Patrick says I"m just not used to sleeping outside. All night I stared at the sleeping bag tag that said in big bold letters, "Good to 0 degrees Farenheit". Right. I don't think it got lower than 40 last night and I was freezing. Oh well.

The morning came and we quickly packed up and headed to Kings Diner for breakfast--also part of our staycation. This is something we NEVER do as a family-go out to breakfast. So it was a treat.

I can't wait for our next staycation!!!

Zoya

1 comment:

Julie R said...

The picture of Patrick with Nora is one of my favorites you've ever posted