Search This Blog

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Our Newest Addition~ Tank!

We found a dog!

Last Thursday our friend Aubrey in Anchorage sent me the link to the Alaska Dog and Puppy Rescue. CLICK HERE for link to this great organization.  She had read our blog post about the search for a new addition to our family.  I looked at several dogs on the site which were quite promising. One of them I even contacted the owner and asked a few more questions about her. Patrick was over in Anchorage for a conference so I figured this would be a great time to bring one home if we found just the right dog. 

Nora kept insisting to look at other sites for dogs, so I figured I would check Craigslist. There was a 4 year old lab listed from Sterling. A dog which knows commands, is great with kids, mellow and needed a new home. His family is moving south and can't take him. There were pictures posted of Tank curled up on the couch with their kids, which warmed my heart over. And over. And over again. 

The animal shelter in the Sterling/Kenai/Soldotna area has a 35-40% euthanasia rate, so we are so glad to have saved Tank from having to go to the shelter!

I e-mailed the link to Patrick and he agreed-this dog was meant for our family. After a few messages back and forth with the owner, drop off arrangements were made in Anchorage. And our friend Aubrey so graciously picked up Tank and let him stay the night at her place. 

After meeting Tank last night, Patrick e-mailed me and said, 

Dear Zoya,

I just got back from seeing Tank - he is an awesome dog!  We did well.  He seems to get along with other dogs and is very friendly.  He also is not too hyper.  I am VERY happy.   You did good!  Patrick




 And after Aubrey awoke this morning she texted,
"Good Morning! Sorry I'm reinforcing his bad habits. I let him sleep on my bed last night. I woke up this morning with his giant head on my shoulder. He is such a sweet dog. You found a good one Zoya. And of course he instantly loved Patrick when they met last night."

Tank comes home this evening with Patrick. We are excited. We have dog treats and toys for his arrival. The kids are excited at the prospect of having a dog that can follow commands and fetch. It will be interesting to see how Jake and Roxy handle the transition. All 3 dogs seem to have a similar disposition, which is good!

Zoya

1 comment:

My Little Family: said...

Congratulations!

Remember though, three dogs constitutes a pack and they will likely maneuver to establish a hierarchy. Could be some arguments in the interim.

I just added a third with a new foster and had to go through the slow and careful introduction. All went well.