Search This Blog

Monday, June 30, 2008

Nora's First Dig




The dig is done. But before we finished Nora got to join us - her first archaeological excavation! On Saturday the Baranov and Alutiiq Museums ran a mock dig for children too young to sign up for the real dig (Community Archaeology is for anyone 14 or older). At just shy of 3 Nora fit the bill - I did let her help me backfill the real excavation (her first official dig) - but her first digging with trowel and dustpan was on the mock excavation. Older kids had units and found artifacts indicative of different activities. They had forms to fill out - just like real archaeologists. But Nora and the other 3 year olds looked for beads in the kiddie pool. Simply content to dig.

On another note - tomorrow I was to accompany Sven to Karluk on Museum work. Worn out from the dig, I did not really want to go. But duty and Sven called. How can you turn down a genius?

Stuey has been a bit sick lately (see above post), and did not go to daycare. Nora went to daycare, but when I picked her up she threw up on the truck's dashboard. Serious smelly mess. (Guess the immunization shots aren't to blame!)

So when I got home with Nora I called Sven to tell him I should stay home to help Zoya take care of two sick kids. While I was on the phone Zoya ran by and threw up in the kitchen sink - LOUD background noises. How could Sven argue with that?

It Looks (and sounds) like tonight and tomorrow will be combat duty in the Saltonstall household. I wonder when the other shoe will drop and I'll be the one at the toilet. Nora just got sick again. Karluk seems like a sweet deal. Patrick

No comments: