Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Getting to be Summer





It's the 4rth of July and hunting season is just around the corner. Time to get the deer rifles sited in and to practice, practice, practice shooting the things. You want to drop every deer with just one shot. In the top photo Lisa shoots the 22 hornet at a metal plate we had set up down range. Shooting at the range can be a tad boring - so we set up the plates. It's immediate gratification when you hear the bongggg of a good hit. In a month we will be hunting deer (with rifles a bit more powerful than the 22 hornet).

But ski season is still with us too - today I took the doggies up Pyramid for a 4rth of July ski. It's been a while since we've had this much snow on the 4rth of July. Pyramid is close to town and usually melts out by the end of June. Today a bunch of my friends took a helicopter ride to go ski camping in the backcountry behind Bell's Flats. We'll have good skiing back there all summer (it's still totally covered in snow in the backcountry). But near town, on Pyramid, it's still not bad. And rain is in the forecast - so perhaps Pyramid is the place to be!

Today I dropped down into the north bowl and skiied down to 920 feet - that 's 1300 vertical feet! (I skiied from 2200 feet) The middle photo shows what it looked like when I got to the bottom. I was in a ravine filled with snow and green all around. The bottom photo shows the dogs leading the way back near the top of the ravine. In the distance you can see the top of Pyramid and where I started my ski.

Another amazing thing about the snow this year is how far you can still ski back towards the car on Pyramid. I skiied down to almost 1100 feet. I know - enough about skiing - I promise that my next post will be about the garden, or something more appropriate for the season. Patrick

No comments: