Search This Blog

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Hello from Anchorage-From Zoya


I found a computer station here at Providence House where I"m staying, so I can give a little update on Stuart and I.

Stu is making great daily progress....still on oxygen but he is gradually decreasing his need for the nasal canula.

He is being my milk via tube to his stomach and the volume of those feedings increase all the time. He is tolerating it well and hopefully in the next day or two we can begin breastfeeding. We are just waiting for his respiration rate to come down a bit so he can manage the complex action of feeding.

I"m able to hold him a lot now, which makes me SO happy. He is like putty in my arms. One of the nurses called him "little dumpling" which I loved as a nickname! The staff here really is amazing-all so helpful, knowledgeable and supportive.

I"m doing well and giving myself lots of down time to sleep and rest. Before I left Kodiak, the nurses made me PROMISE that I would take care of myself so I would then be able to take good care of Stuart. Best advice ever, I must say. I"m feeling stronger every day as I recover from labor and delivery. The nurses don't expect me to be at his bedside all the time, as he is still healing and needs periods of low stimulus to rest.

Every day there are big changes and hopefully we'll be home by next weekend. Seems like a reasonable goal and the neonatologist said he thought that by Sat/Sun we'll perhaps be on our way. We'll take it day by day.

I'm so thankful for everyones love and support. It has made all of this much easier. My labor/delivery in Kodiak went WONDERFULLY and I had 6 fantastic friends in there with me as Stuart came into the world. I feel so blessed to have such fantastic people in my life who were so helpful in supportive in those hours following his birth. They got me going and supported me as I headed off to Anchorage 12 hours after delivery.

I"m off to rest, then to see Stuey for dinner (ZAS).

No comments: